Photo Credit : the hindu
Vellore Fort, a hefty fort of 16th century built during the reign of Vijayanagara Kings sited in heart of the Vellore city, in the state of Tamil Nadu.
Vellore Fort was built by Chinna Bommi Reddy and Thimma Reddy, subordinate Chieftains under Sadasiva Raya of the Vijayanagara Empire in the year of 1566 AD.
The Fort served as the headquarters of the Aravidu Dynasty of Vijayanagara Empire for a period. The fort is famous for its majestic fortifications, wide moat and strong brickwork.
The Fort’s possession passed from Vijayanagara Kings, to the Bijapur Sultans, and then to Marathas, followed to the Carnatic Nawabs and ultimately to the British, who held the fort until India achieved independence.
During British rule, the Tipu Sultan’s family and the last king of Sri Lanka, Sri Vikrama Rajasinha was held in as prisoners in the fort.
The fort abodes the Jalakanteswarar Hindu temple, Christian St. John’s Church and a Muslim mosque, of which the Jalakanteswarar Temple is renowned for its splendid carvings.
The first revolt against British rule exploded at this fort in 1806, and it also witnessed the massacre of the Vijayanagara royal family of Sriranga Raya.
Vellore fort was used by the British to station two infantry regiments of the Madras Army plus four companies of an English regiment.
It is cited in history that there is no such fort on the face of earth like Vellore Fort. It had a deep moat where once 10,000 crocodiles swarmed and awaits to grab every interloper into this impenetrable fort.
It has huge double walls with citadels projecting irregularly, where two carts can be driven side by side.
The fort is constructed using granite from the nearby quarries in Arcot and Chittor districts. It spreads over an area of 133 acres and is located at an altitude of 720 feet within a broken mountain range.
The fort is bounded by a moat which was once used as an supplementary line of security in the case of an assault. It includes an escape tunnel leading to Virinjipuram about 12 km away, which could be used by the king and other royals in the occasion of an attack, later undecided by Researchers of the ASI who found no evidence of existence of such passage.
The fort is considered to be among the best of military architecture in Southern India. This 13th-century fort was opened to tourists and is now maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Government Museum is a multipurpose museum maintained by the Department of Museum Government of Tamil Nadu. Its treasures include ancient- and present-day curiosities relating to subjects such as anthropology, botany, geology, numismatics, pre-history, and zoology.
Historical monuments of the former complex North Arcot district are elegantly portrayed in the gallery.
This museum is kept open on all days between 9.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. and 2.00 p.m and 5.00 p.m. except on holidays, and admission fee is INR 5/-.