Photo Credit : wikimedia
MG Road is the most popular, urbanized, congested, heavy traffic shopping arena of Cochin City. The road is decorated with the assortment of Kochi’s own textile, jewelry, lifestyle shops.
It is also known as the shopper’s paradise of Kerala, as it is the statement of Ala mode. The restaurants and home appliances shops are always crowded, each day M.G. Road introduces something novel to its customers.
Handicrafts, coir products, hand looms, illuminations, vehicles, service offices and Cinema halls make the MG Road alive. The face of MG Road is changing with the advent of Kochi Metro project.
MG Road is considered to be CBD of Kochi city with several top retails stores and offices of leading corporate houses located on both the side of the road. The MG Road connects Marine Drive (through Banerjee Road) and Chittoor Road (at Kacheripady) at North to Thevara at south passing through 10 junctions.
- Padma Junction
- Kavitha Junction (nearest point to KSRTC Central City Station through Rajaji Road)
- Shenoys Junction
- KPCC Junction (where Maharaja’s Stadium and City General Hospital are located)
- Woodlands Junction (famous for several top jewelleries stores)
- Jos Junction (considered to the center of the city and nearest point connecting Ernakulam Junction Railway station)
- Pallimukku Junction with links to East-West corridor- SA Road.
- Atlantis (where almost all airline offices and travel agencies are located)
- Harbour (where Cochin Shipyard is located)
- Thevara Junction
MG Road is a high end commercial street. The most important corporate house located in this stretch is Cochin Shipyard, one of the largest shipyards in India, located near Harbour side. Several top companies has their offices in this stretch and most of the banks in India maintains their regional offices or main branches in this road.