Photo Credit : Wikimedia
The largest archaeological museum in Kerala, served as the administrative office of Kochi Rajas. The Palace complex built in 1865 by the Maharaja of Cochin consists of 49 buildings of traditional architectural style, an archaeological museum, a heritage museum, a deer park, a pre-historic park and children’s park.
The museum displays 14 categories of exhibits including the gold Crown embedded with precious stones, many valuable coins, classic ornaments, and majestic beds of erstwhile Cochin Royal Family, paintings, sculptures in stone and marble, weapons, inscriptions and samples of epigraphy. Apart from the contributions of Cochin Royal Family, some exhibits are from Travancore Royal House, Paliam Devaswom and the department of Archaeology.
The premises of the museum are rich with several rare species of medicinal plants.
The Centre for Heritage Studies, a self-governing research and training institute set up by the Department of Cultural Affairs, Government of Kerala also functions at the site. CHS is designated as the Manuscript Conservation Centre and Manuscript Resource Centre by the National Mission for Manuscripts.
The Palace was handed over to the Government of Kerala by the Cochin Royal Family and in 1980 the palace taken over by the Department of Archaeology and later converted into a museum.
The Palace has been converted into a museum by the Kerala State Archaeology Department and was opened to public in the year of 1986.
Opens: 9am to 12.30pm & 2pm to 4.30pm