Photo Credit : wikipedia
Malleshwara Malleshwaram or Malleswaram is a north-western district of Bengaluru city. It was developed as a planned suburb after the great plague of 1898, which forced several people to set out of the city center. It derived its name from the Kaadu Malleshwara temple.
H. V. Nanjundaiah is accredited with the founding of Malleshwaram, and 6th main road is named after him. The region is branded by mixed demographics, sustaining a substantial middle class, upper middle class, and elite residential areas.
The middle and lower class populations live to the East of Malleswaram, while the elite residential areas are on the West. The streets are designed with horizontal, north-south roads called main roads, and east-west roads called cross-roads.
Two of the major main roads are Sampige Road and Margosa Road. On the cross-roads, 8th cross road is a popular shopping street – with everything from clothes to fruits, vegetables and flowers available. The road is always perky with people.
During festivals, the road between Sampige and Margosa is closed to traffic and resembles a market with items pertaining to each festival put up on sale.
Another prominent landmark in Malleshwaram is the Indian Institute of Science and The World Trade Center (WTC) is near Malleshwaram. The Chowdiah Memorial Hall, named after the violinist Tirumakudalu Chowdiah was built in Malleswara in 1980.
The neighborhood of Malleshwaram hosts people from all walks of life. The Nobel laureate C.V. Raman, scientist Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan, badminton world champion Prakash Padukone, Doraiswamy Iyengar and film stars like Saroja Devi, Jaggesh had lived here.